6.19.2008

Dad's Angels Day

I know this is totally late in getting on the blog, but oh well - there were more important things to do, right? On Sunday, I had given Bryan 4 tickets to the Angels' baseball game. They were playing the Atlanta Braves and the game was perfectly timed for 5pm. Most of their games are either at 1pm (nap time) or 7pm (1 hr before bed) so 5 was perfect. Well, Bryan's parents came over and I had been debating whether to bring Austin or not, and Bryan's mom offered to watch him while we took his dad to the game. What a blessing! I didn't have to worry about him careening down the steep incline (see later pictures). Thanks Terri!

So here we are in front of the stadium getting ready to go in. Ethan wore his Angels t-shirt so he and I helped create the blinding "redness" in the stands. It's pretty red in there.


He was proud of his ticket and his backpack. We pulled that backpack out of the depths of the coat closet and he latched onto it. I used to use it to carry diapers and sippies for him at church, but this was perfect for his snacks and sippy for the game.


Ok you're not imagining it. Yes, the wall IS behind our heads - the TOP wall. I'm serious - when I bought the tickets online, they were the only tickets that I could get and I figured they were ok (though I had no idea how high they were). As we approached the second to last section of the stadium, we started ascending only to realize that row R was at the TOP of the stadium. Wow. I mean I could say we had a "headrest" except that the wall was like 150 degrees or hotter. I'm not kidding. The sun was setting on that side and you could literally partly cook an egg on that wall. It radiated heat!!! But at least we were in the shade.?..? I did feel a little lightheaded up there - there was so little oxygen to breath in. Not even the snack sellers ventured up there. And that look on Ethan's face you ask? Well, it was pretty much there from the start of the game till we left. Bryan and I figured he was just focusing?? That's a better thought than that he didn't want to be there.

I could just see the poor guy with these ice cream sandwiches looking at Bryan waving and thinking, "no, no, PLEASE don't make me go up THERE!!!" They honestly only came up to our spot if someone wanted something. I can't blame them. And not to be all calorie-counting, but this baby was almost 600 calories!!!!!! And 25g. of fat. Those couple bites were SOOO good, though. Bryan got it because Ethan said he wanted ice cream, then said he didn't want it. SO typical right now. And did I mention frustrating???

And here is our view. Notice the drop-off from our seats. No lie, folks. Can I say again that I'm SOOO glad we didn't take Austin? The Angels won, by the way. And halfway through the game Ethan wanted to go home and see Grammy. Isn't that like a 3 year old? I told him we're staying because this is a special occasion and we don't get to do it all that much. Of course he still said he wanted to see Grammy. It was a good game and we had a lot of fun munching on hot dogs and sipping our sodas. It's hard to focus on the game when you're there, though. There are so many other things to look at!! I get way too distracted.

We bought Ethan a real wooden bat after he saw someone that had one. He was in heaven and we only paid $4 for it. Ya - $4!!! Talk about a cheap souvenir. We were expecting to shell out around $8. We had to buy Austin one (fairness you know - and to keep fighting at bay) even though I cringed when I thought of a 1 1/2 year old wielding a real wooden bat. I should keep the doctor AND dentist's numbers handy. Yikes. It was a fun day and I think Bryan liked his Father's Day gift.

1 comment:

Kindred Kaleidoscope said...

Hi Cara,
It was really great talking with you @ Julie's shower! It would be great to talk more, my blog is http://ballroommomof3.blogspot.com/ & my email is swingdancingmom@yahoo.com.
~Christie