3.21.2008

Wanna See Something Funny?

When we moved into our house in Corona, we had a roof leak. That's right - it's a tile roof, and it had a leak. I didn't think that happened, but figures it'd happen to us. The reason you ask?...pigeon crap. Sorry - that's what it was. It had all piled up and blocked rain run-off, which leaked under a tile, drenched our ceiling, then poured down behind our paint in the wall (literally). So needless to say, when we had the roof fixed, we had the guy put chicken wire where the pigeons nested. Fast forward two years later, and I've been hearing scratching sounds on our tile upstairs (like metal). Bryan investigated, and it turns out - they're BAAAaaack. The scratching sound? - the pigeons using the chicken wire as a DOOR to get in and out. Nice. So I was LAUGHING as Bryan tried to bully them out of the alcove. Here's the picture...

That's right. The big sausagey bird wedged his fat self between the chicken wire and the alcove and didn't MOVE. Bryan didn't have the heart to kill the little guy, so he's still there - and moved in for the rest of the season. He might have a bruised rib from that white tube, but he's doing ok....much to our disappointment.


Want a close-up? Don't you just want to squish him? Well, I do. Riva and I know the bird-squish need. We actually "hugged" our parakeets...not too tight, mind you, but enough to show them we loved them. They need hugs, too!

Wednesday my sister-in-law, Marisa (pretty much sister to me), and I had planned to go to the LA Zoo with our kids. My niece was out of school for spring break so we trooped out to the zoo. On the way there I called Riva and she met us there so all the kids could hang out and we all had a great time. This picture above was a 6 week old giraffe!! She was so cute, but when we asked the older zoo employee what her name was he replied, "They haven't named her yet. If you've got a lot of money you might be able to pick it out for her..." OKKKkkkkkk. I mean I know they run on a volunteer/donation thing, but I don't think naming a giraffe is THAT important to me I guess. Was he trained in the fund-raising lingo to use on the unexpecting zoo visitors?

So I'm sure you've read Riva's blog since she's always faster on current events than I, but here's the picture I took of Riva and Marisa losing themselves in the Zoo map. It's documented, folks.

Remember those darling children that I told you accompanied us to the Zoo? Well here they are, in all their camera-shy, goofy glory. Jeffy is somewhere back by Jules, and my boys, surprise, surprise, are NOT looking at me. Riva's kids are the camera kids. Here they are eating lunch before they all got excited about the dirt behind them.

Here we are - the 3 moms and sisters. We realized by this point that we'd had it and were exiting the zoo. Our legs were ready to collapse and the kids were getting to that whiny point...you know when they're past due for naps?? All in all we had so much fun and the day had that California weather that is so well known and loved - breezy and sunny. Not too many people at the zoo, either. Pretty nice!

3 comments:

Trying to Love, Laugh & Live said...

Hey Cara!! So much fun at the LA Zoo. We were going to go to the zoo this week, but opted out knowing it was Spring Break for LA Schools, but mainly because we were all sick. We are getting better, so if you want to shoot for a visit next week, that could be fun!

Trying to Love, Laugh & Live said...

okay... here's a weird question. Your sister-in-law looks really familiar. Plus, her picture- weird, but she totally reminds me of someone, but I don't know who.

Would you ask her where she went to high school? You can email me the answer!

Riva said...

You crack me up...i can just hear you telling me these stories. Love the pigeon! I can't believe they're back, they must be dedicated. Love you! Oh, and I need that picture of all the kids at lunch.