3.11.2008

Domestic Bliss?

Every once in a while, or twice, or maybe many times in one week, I ask myself, "Did I really know what I was signing up for when I decided to embark (Bryan would say that word was "haughty") on motherhood?" See, I struggle with perfectionism and a guilt conscience, as you've probably read in other posts on this very blog. Parenting, these last few weeks, has been filled with "should I's," "am I's," "are they's," and everything else that I could possible wrack myself with in the small 11 hour window during the time I'm a "single" mother during the day. In the end, I was comforted by my dad's honest words of encouragement over the phone, and an article he wrote for his and mom's recent alumni newsletter. "As Christians, our wealth comes from God, who is the giver of all good and perfect gifts (James 1:17). Learning to appreciate these gifts is a piece of our spiritual growth worth pursuing. I think many times in ministry it is too common for us to see what’s wrong with the picture. We endure moody Monday mornings as our focus on problems and unmet expectations take their toll. You’ve read Paul’s thoughts on this when reflecting on the realities of his daily support: “… for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.” (Philippians 4:11)" My dad is a true man of integrity, has an amazing sensitivity to those around him and is one of the most awesome men of God that I know. Not to leave my mom out, she's also an amazing woman in her own rite. On that note, here are some pictures of some of their descendants...ha ha!!

My parents gave "Mac" to the boys and Austin has discovered him all over again. He is actually driving it like a truck too. I bypassed the cheesy face picture for this cute one. For some reason, every time the camera comes out, his cheesy face comes out too.

I NEVER thought I'd see the day when dart guns were shot inside my home. I also had no experience, whatsoever, with boys until I gave birth to them. This is a source of extreme enjoyment for HOURS on end and why would I take that away? My decorations are only just physical items... I must say that I've gotten pretty accurate myself. And for those of you interested, we also have a rapid-fire dart gun as well. Mmm-hm...and I've shot it too.

The boys enjoying their targets on the fireplace which, by the way, Austin (yes the 1 1/2 year old) will go fix the target if it has been shot down.

My wonderful Uncle Rich and Aunt Lyn made a stop to see us on their whirlwind tour of the U.S. They are from Colorado and we hardly ever get to see them. We were so excited that they came to spend several days here and we could catch up on all these years we've missed in their lives. Much to our disappointment, they had to move on and see the rest of the states. The amount of noise and people here was too much for our loved ones who are used to the sounds of wild animals and nothing during the nights. We miss them already and thank you for making a stop in our busy CA area!

Anyone who knows me KNOWS that if it's cinnamon and sugar, it's on my favorites list. I got the boys hooked on cinnamon and sugar tortillas (with butter of course). It always takes Ethan saying that he doesn't like it before he is forced to take a bite to try it. After they both smelled it, they decided this treat was pretty special. Austin did his cheesy grin while snacking.

Ethan humoring mommy while I took his picture.

We gave Mikayla an early birthday present since her real birthday is on a Thursday and she's big enough to have a REAL party with her friends (so family is excluded - j/k Riva). She's my girl - with all her fun fake food items and miniatures for Barbie. I guess we should have gotten her a Barbie to go with it, but the only Barbies they had at the place I was at were in bikinis....that isn't cafe attire. ha ha! She seemed to love it.

2 comments:

Trying to Love, Laugh & Live said...

I love that your boys are playing darts in the house! Isn't is amazing how much we change after having kids! There are so many things, every day, that make me think... Oh, I can't imagine my life before kids!
So fun to see little glimpses of your life! I hope we can get together soon... my kids are a little sick right now, so we'll try soon!!

Cara said...

Yes, darts are a favorite around here. I figure, where's the fun if there's no danger of broken items? ha ha! I love your little glimpses, too. I really want to get together so when those little people get better, call me!