I woke up this morning at 5:15 and proceeded to go to the gym and run 6 miles on a treadmill. It's not the most exciting thing to do, but it's my way of preparing myself for the half marathon that is looming towards me in February. Riva and I are doing this together, and thank goodness because it's going to take me a whole lot longer than the last time I did it back in 2008. I ran that thing in 1hr, 51min. Times have changed, I have one less organ in my body (after my gall bladder surgery), I'm not in as good of shape and I haven't run 1 weekend since starting my training. But I can do this - in between getting adjusted at the chiropractor and going through other physical joys that don't seem to go away....is this age catching up with me? I mean at least I can say that I'm running my 2nd half before I turn 35 in February...just barely. Our goal is to do it in around 2hrs, 45 minutes. More than likely we'll do it quicker than that because when you get that adrenaline rushing, you sort of go with the flow.
Running that first half 2 years ago gave me an amazing sense of accomplishment. Not really a runner, I hadn't picked it up since running junior high cross-country those many AGES ago. As I was training to get in shape/lose a little weight, I needed that goal to 'run' toward and the half was that motivation. I always thought that only the 'in shape' people did those sort of things. Boy was I wrong. As I lined up with 10,000 perfect strangers to begin our 13+ mile trek, I realized that so many people were just like me. They wanted to accomplish something and whether they had to walk it or jog, they were going to finish. There were big, little, tall, short, handicapped, teenagers, old folks, everybody!!
Starting the race, my Ipod began to play "Bad Day" and I just about cried. All that training and here I was doing it. God gave me that ability to run on my own 2 feet and complete this race on my own. I didn't even go through my entire song list because I finished before I thought I would. Wow....and Riva, Cheryl, Mikayla, Bryan and the boys were there cheering me on. It was such a moving experience.
All that to say that as I look forward to my next one in approx 1 month, I'm getting excited not to beat a record or do the 'healthy' thing, but I'm excited to feel alive, put one foot in front of the other, and breathe in 13+ miles of sea air....hopefully without a hitch in my side. I'm excited to do this with my sister and best friend - who took the time to come out and cheer me on that first time. Now we're doing this together and we'll finish. Not with the best time probably, but HAVING the best time. And enjoying that we're able to do this and God has given us this opportunity.
Bring it on!!
1 comment:
Awesome....how exciting and impressive and brave to take on a half maratthon a second time even!!Nancy
Post a Comment