3.11.2009

Graduation Here We Come!

Or should I say "he?" I pretty much feel like we're both graduating in May - but he's done all the brain/paper work and I've done the "let's improve my character and mothering skills" work. At least he's succeeded. Ha ha!! Just kidding. I know I'm an OK mom - I just won't get a Masters in it anytime soon.

Yes, Bryan will be graduating in May from the University of La Verne with a Masters in Healthcare Administration. He has written more papers and given more presentations in the last two years than I think he ever did all the way through school. I could be wrong, but it seems like the poor guy is ALWAYS on the computer or printing off hand-outs for his classmates of his presentations. Needless to say, we are all thrilled and proud of the work he has put into it.

So, this last Saturday was the Graduation Expo at ULV. It was for all the graduating students from undergrad AND grad. Let me tell you, when you have a school that enrolls more than 8000 undergrads, you'd think they would have at least two cap and gown lines for the seniors instead of one....just a thought. Those poor undergrads were in a line that went quite a ways, whereas the grad students could just walk right up and get their cap and gowns. We were thankful to be in the grad "line" with the boys. Whew!! They must think that candy draws people to their booths because there was candy everywhere we turned. Of course we had to hear constant pleas of, "can I have some candy mommy?" as we passed each booth. Don't worry, they each got to pick out a couple pieces...I'm not THAT mean.

Here's the only family shot I could get. Not really a flattering angle, but nonetheless, we are ALL in it. Yes, we also put matching hats on the boys partly so we wouldn't lose them in the crowd. I know - aren't they cute? I'm sure I had many people wondering, "are they twins?" Believe it or not, I do get that question more often than I expect.

As we exited the bookstore after being unsuccessful in hunting for an alumni shirt that was Bryan's size (to which he said he really didn't need one anyways) we saw this beautiful butterfly. I mean this thing was huge! It probably could stretch it's wings across my palm. I had to get a picture of it (since this time I didn't drop and ruin my camera at La Verne like last time).

OH - and the quintessential find...a COPPER La Verne mug. Yes, it may be slightly off color-wise (for those of you art people) but it is pretty darn close. We thought we had to have it as a souvenir. However, I may be the one using it the most and I didn't graduate from ULV. Of course I don't work at Genzyme either, but managed to use that mug for several years before it met its end on my kitchen tile (after being pushed by OOOOdles of sippies off of the 6 foot high shelf they all shared). But I'm not bitter. Now I just hope this one doesn't leak. We'll see. Now I'll look REALLY high maintenance with my self-done acrylic nails (yes, I'm learning), my two-toned hair, glittery jewelry, amazingly cool car that I never dreamed I'd own (thank you babe) and the cup to match (thank you again babe). Really, I'm not high maintenance at all. Honestly - and you know it. (That's why I do my OWN nails...or try to).

And here's the soon-to-be graduate. His Masters color is Salmon - NOT pink. ha ha!! Just letting you know that. So here's his hood and gown. Doesn't he look handsome? I think so. Now all he has to do is take one more class, finish his thesis and he's done!! Hooray!!!

1 comment: