1.26.2009

Why Is It That.....?

As the last few days have progressed, I've asked myself some questions that I thought I'd get out on my blog. If anyone has answers, I'd love to hear them. I believe a lot of us struggle with similar issues and you moms probably ask yourselves the same questions I do.
1. Why is it that your kids are so much better behaved for other people (especially grandparents)? My kids loved seeing cousin Cheryl and cousin Caitlyn the other day. That was fun. Today, as I'm loading the kids into the car after they spent a night with Grammy and Papa Hill, they started acting out in the car. I had to not only discipline, but stop fights as well within the first 5 minutes!! What happened to the "we had no problems" children that left their grandparents' house moments before?

Ethan and Caitlyn.

Gram and Austin.

2. Why is it that the BIG eater likes my ice cream flavor? Ethan is eating a lot lately and so when we decided to go to Cold Stone the other night, of course the only flavor he wanted was the one I got. He inhaled it. I guess that's ok since I really need to be watching my junk food intake anyways. But it WAS good. Cake Batter ice cream with sprinkles. In the background, Austin is making quick work of Bryan's Dark Chocolate Mint with Oreos. btw...did you know that if you want a quart of ice cream that isn't a signature flavor it's $12 at Cold Stone????? PRICEY!
4. Why is it that people feel the need to solve their problems with violence? As we were coming home from the ice cream place, we were turning onto a street before our housing complex, and there was a car stopped in the intersection. We were trying to figure out what was going on and we noticed a guy pointing a gun into the vehicle as his buddies were outside looking in the open window. There were several people waiting at the light and since we were able to go, we continued driving. Bryan didn't want to take a chance on getting involved since we had the kids in the car, but just seeing that sent these horrible feelings through me. It was almost surreal. Why do people have to be so ugly to each other? I just don't understand that mentality. It made me realize that I need to thank God for our safety everyday...

5. Why is it that my son plays his guitar backwards? I don't know the answer to that one, since he does see Mr. Cody play it every Sunday the RIGHT way. But for some reason he's adopted this holding position and it seems to suit him very well. The boys are loving "One More Night" and "Two Hearts" from Phil Collins right now. Austin was singing "One More Night" in this picture. They picked up the lyrics pretty quickly (their version) and sing it in the car when Bryan plays it.

6. Why is it that as I'm sitting having lunch on my own I feel the need to talk to someone or do something? I actually went to a sushi place today by myself (since Terri had the kids) and splurged on lunch (after spending more of my Christmas money from mom and dad) I honestly don't think I've ever been in a restaurant by myself before and as I sat down and ordered, I felt this huge urge to DO something or pull my phone out and talk to someone. But I didn't. I sat there and just existed. I can't tell you how nice it was for that half hour of silence and doing NOTHING except eating really good food. And I ate it AAAALL too.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

3. The missing number three... why is it that "orange chicken" has little to no actual orange in it?

Granny Jo said...

Yeah, what happened to #3? As grandparents now, it is a hoot to watch it unfold - the grandkids are no problem for us - obey us and are pleasant and fun! Their parents walk in the door and they are little Jekyl and Hydes! Just add water for an instant monster! Wish I knew why, but it is pretty weird to see it from the other side now!