I must say that this week has been a different one. It has been eventful, to say the least, but I've experienced a lot in the last few days and it has made me do a lot of thinking. It has reminded me of just how thankful I am. It started out with a trip to Albertsons to get my stuff for the dessert I was making for Thanksgiving with my family. When I left the store, I came out without the jars that I needed (because they were out of stock and didn't know when they'd get them in) and I realized I'd been overcharged $2 for pudding mixes that were supposed to be on sale. I mean we are all watching our pennies these days, but I didn't want to go through the trouble to go back into the store since the boys were already locked in their seats. So, I decided to go to McDonalds to get an iced coffee (why not spend more $$, right)? As I was sitting in the drive-thru, this man was trying to get my attention. Well, I was trying to avoid it because I sat there KNOWING that he wanted money and I just didn't have the heart to deal with it. I ended up rolling my window down and after conversing with him for a moment, realized he was really, honestly hungry. I asked him what he wanted and he said "Anything!!" So for $2 I got him a hamburger and coke and met him at the other side of the drive-thru. $2 fed him....and I was obsessing about being overcharged that much for pudding.....I was humbled.
Later that evening I made (for the first time ever) Pork Buns. They are a Chinese Dish with pork inside of a breaded steamed bun. I was impressed with myself and so I had to take a picture of the finished product. It was the prettiest thing, but it worked! I don't have a huge steamer to do it in so they all stuck together. It tasted good though.....but I saw parts of it the next morning when Ethan came down with the stomach flu. I'm trying not to have negative thoughts about this dish now. OH - and I woke up with the other part of the flu. SOOOoooo...I had to call my parents and we had to postpone Thanksgiving till Saturday. I was so upset that of ALL days it had to happen right before the holidays.... not to mention I had to clean everything up AGAIN....and the smell. UGH.
But do you ever have times where you receive something from someone that you just don't know what to say to ever thank them enough? That's happened several times even in the last few months for me and since I need people to understand me, I desperately want them to know how much what they've done means in my life. Well, when Bryan ran into our neighbor down the street on Thanksgiving afternoon, he asked Bryan why we weren't with family. Bryan said Ethan and I were recovering from the flu so we had to postpone. I almost cried when 10 minutes later, our neighbor Jeff came to our house with 4 HUGE plates of turkey, stuffing, gravy, yams, and green beans along with rolls for us for dinner. I still don't have the words. I just don't. To be that giving..... it still has me speechless. I just am amazed at the thoughfulness of people....it makes me emotional just thinking about it. And MAN was that meal good. It was really good...
So this was what we did for the holiday. This was the day AFTER we watched so many movies I think my butt was glued to the sofa. Who knew balloons could be so much fun? Unless you're a boy and you like to have weapons to pummel anyone least suspecting of it. All in all, I'm so thankful for everything God has given me in my life - and especially to our HEALTH (finally) and our friends and family. That's the most important. I love you all!
1 comment:
Oh, Cara... I cried as I read the words of what your neighbor did! What a thankful day indeed! I am so glad they loved on you like that... God's love in the flesh!
Post a Comment