9.02.2008

Visitors and Partying!!

A week ago my cousin Cheryl drove down to CA to go back to college. Her sis, Kate, accompanied her so we were so excited to have both of them over before Kate went back home, and Cheryl started her classes. We went shopping, of course, and made Jalapeno Poppers that afternoon. Then the next day the boys and I drove cousin Kate to the airport and said our goodbyes. The boys were laughing so hard during Cheryl and Kate's visit and playing with them that I'm surprised nothing got injured internally. Mommy definitely isn't that much fun, but I'm glad they could enjoy that day of laughter in the midst of sameness at home. ha ha!
Katie, Austin, Cheryl, and Ethan chilling out (for about 5 minutes) on the couch.

Labor Day weekend was a chance to get out and do something different for a change. We'd gone on the boat last weekend, so we decided that we'd go to the beach and get some sun in the sand. It was so cool because after we'd set up our stuff and gone down to the water, I turn around and who should be walking about 20 yards away towards our stuff, but a family that we knew from church - the Ritchies!! They were supposed to meet other friends of ours, but the plans fell through, so we got to enjoy their company for the rest of the morning unexpectedly! What awesome timing - of all the places on the coast to be, they went to the same spot we did. We had so much fun talking with them, and Ethan was constantly in the water chasing the waves.

Labor Day came and with it, Dad's birthday. Mom, Riva and I put out a huge spread for Dad and all his friends that came to see him. It was an evening of stories and lots of conversation (and eating). I made a berry cobbler and a chocolate, chocolate, chocolate cake. That thing was chocolate overload!! But it was so good. Now that I'm attempting to train for a half marathon, I suppose that I shouldn't endulge too much in that stuff. I've already gained weight, now it's time to take it off....*sigh* .... but I just LOVE food too much - and cooking it!! God help me...

Here was Dad thanking everyone for coming, then listening to some of his friends tell him how special he is and how much he means to them. It was so fun to catch up with those people and see how everyone was doing. The kids had so much fun with Rachel and Cheryl. Thanks, girls, for keeping them so entertained!!

This was a highlight! My dad had owned his volkswagen bug for YEARS (since he was a senior in high school) when he finally decided to part with it 10 years ago after buying his truck. He sold it to a guy at Talbot, Kevin, who has fixed it up over the years - it looks so good! Well, Kevin brought it to the party, and Nancy (front) had so many memories of riding in that car when she knew my dad in college, so she was thrilled to sit in it again (and hugged it when walking up the driveway to the party). I must say that it brought me back so many memories as well of family outings. I remember my mom wiping the condensation off the front windshield while my dad was driving during cold weather (since it has no defogger) and Riva and I cramming ourselves into the back seat (when there were no seatbelt laws). I love that car and the smell and look inside brought me back to the good old days. Thanks, Kevin, for sharing! Happy 60th Dad - we all love you!!!!

1 comment:

heidi said...

That was a great post for your dad. What fun to see his car after all these years. What a fun friend. You guys are so great at sharing your family times... thanks! I really hope we can get together sometime soon! Elijah would LOVE to play with your boys!