7.31.2008

Yes, I DO Have Boys



This last weekend Bryan and I were away from the kids (which was a nice break) and when we went to pick them up from my parents, my mom made a comment that went something like, "well, they are definitely boys because everything was tackling, falling, and physical." Yep, that pretty much sums it up in my household. This morning I was reminded once again how different my house is than I was used to growing up being a girl with no brothers...

1. When I lay down, at ALL, I am now a target for leaping and/or sitting on. You cannot lay down in my house and expect some peace and quiet. No way.

2. As I vacuum, I have boys stalking me with their dart guns so they can "get me" while I go from room to room.

3. We can't just play with play doh and "make things." We have to hack it up, dice it, throw it and find new ways to mutilate the poor doughy globs. If we make something, it MUST be destroyed immediately.

4. Sitting in the car while mommy cleans it has to be accompanied by pushing EVERY last button and turning every knob available within reach. If it hasn't been touched or turned, the mission was a failure. We also have to tackle each other WHILE doing those things....with shoes on the seats. **sigh**

5. When one is down, the other must come down with him (or be TAKEN down).

6. Toy saws and hammers have multiple uses including, but not limited to, haircutting tools, swords, balls (i.e. throwing into things), and drumsticks.

7. When one sees that doing something is a great annoyance to the other, that action must be repeated until the other physically stops the action.

8. Where there is a container (or anything circular for that matter), there is a basket. Therefore, anything can be thrown into it or towards it to "make a basket." Likewise, if there is anything that at all resembles a stick, it can be used as a golf club to hit anything smaller than it.

9. It's always fun to act like dogs at the table and "shake" our quesadillas between our teeth like we're killing a small animal. Don't ask me why - inborn perhaps??

10. If accidentally run into or purposefully pushed, the victim must dramatically fall down and act maimed and hurt. Of course, this falling down action most of the time must take out the one who caused this horrendous crime. If not "taken down," we must try to physically take out our aggression in other ways (unless mommy sees us first).

All these and more may not just be what boys do, I realize, but I also realize that there is nothing that isn't physical between my two. They are ALWAYS wanting to tackle, roll around, wrestle, and physically play. SUCH a different life than I had growing up, and a little more tiring I must say. However, I wouldn't change it for the world. All I can say is, I'm glad I'm a girl, but I'm so glad that God made guys different from us girls. We all have a purpose in this world, and it's obvious to me that boys are wired in their own unique way. More power to them, but give me my pink slippers, a good book or cross stitch, and make me a bubble bath. Ahhhhhh....I love being a girl.

3 comments:

heidi said...

Cara... that was great! I am starting to notice these things with Elijah. Our poor girls are starting to get bruises on their heads from all the cars that are being thrown at them. Plus, as you said, I can't lay down on the floor anymore unless I want to be jumped on... although Elijah always adds a "zerbert"

Thanks for sharing your boys stories! I love it!

Lauren @ Team Giles said...

This is so funny and so true. I dont have boys of my own. But when I watched my Nephews and I see my Nieces, WHAT a difference...Even from hearing stories from my Fiance, who only has a brother, gosh... Boys are so... BOY! :) It's good to be a girl.

Amanda said...

oh what I have to look forward too. Our Ethan is all boy but Madeleine tries to girly him up- but once this 3rd little guy arrives-he will have reinforcements. *sigh*