Ethan holding up one of the fish that Bryan or Bud caught. He likes to hold them and/or reel them in. Bryan put a real hook on his pole again, but a couple minutes later Ethan got stuck on something under water. Bryan went back to tying only a plastic worm on after that. Too high maintenance I guess.
Later that evening we went bowling as a family. Ok bowling for 3 people is PRICEY!! We had a free game for 2 people, so we had to pay for Ethan, as well as all of our shoes. Even that was $15. And those of you who know how Ethan is, he didn't want to even touch the shoes until halfway through the game. He was afraid of them. I thought "put them on please.." The ones who should have been afraid of the shoes were Bryan and I. THOSE were old. I don't want to know what diseases did NOT come out with that spray they whisk over the top of the shoe (barely even going IN the shoe). Ethan's were almost brand new. They hardly even BENT when you walked in them. Ultimately he saw how cool we looked in ours (ya right), and put his on. Where was Austin you ask? OH - clinging to me and constantly saying "HODE U" (hold you). **SIGH** Memories, I tell ya.
Then Riva and I flew to San Jose for my Papa's memorial service. I was just there at the end of last year for my Aunt Leone's memorial service, so it brought back some solemn memories. As I passed out the program, I saw so many people who had been touched by my grandfather. It reminds me that our legacy in this world is not how we look, what our careers are or how successful we are, it's WHO we are. Papa's old work partner was there, now a Christian (praise God!), and praising my Papa for who he was as a person and how much he had accomplished in his life (that I was even unaware of). What a testimony as people stood up and shared how meaningful Papa was in their lives. It was so moving. I took a picture of some of my family as people shared.
My Uncle Rich, mom, dad, Uncle Dannie (hidden), Aunt Nancy, and Uncle Gary. I love how our family is so supportive of each other and so loving. It's hard to see Papa go, but we know he's in a much better place.
Here's almost all of us cousins with Uncle Bill (Papa's sister's husband). Papa's sister, Aunt Leone (Uncle Bill's wife) went to be with the Lord at the end of last year. Did you catch all that? Anyways, we are all like sisters and we love being together. We did miss our cousin Lisa and her husband Ben. We wish Ben all our love as he struggles through another hospital stay. We love you guys and hope you get better quickly, Ben!
The new 'family.' Julie and Bill had their baby, Ryan, 2 months ago. She looks AWESOME even while struggling through chemo, fatigue, and being a new mom. I can't even imagine, but she does everything with grace and such a sweet spirit. I SO admire you, Julie. Ryan is one of the most grunty babies. He has something to say about everything. At least you know where he is at all times! ha ha!! He's a DOLL, though. **squish**
The day we left, the guys went out and started cleaning out Papa's workshop in the back. I can't even tell you how many tools and accessories were in there. Fortunately, Dannie knew the names of all the tools - seriously. Even if it was an antique and hadn't been used for decades, Dannie knew the use of it. Thank goodness he was there! All I did was keep brushing wood dust off of my white (yes, white) jacket and get a couple keepsakes that would remind me of Papa. Then Riva and I picked out some tools that we thought our hubbies might like. Leave it to me to pick things that Bryan already had, but hey, at least I tried. It helps when cell phones are kept ON our persons, but that's ok. He had a good excuse.
Here is only a small part of what tools were in that shop. I'm not kidding. And these were the ancient ones that no one really uses any more. That thing in the front right was actually made by my great-grandfather and used by him. It was engraved with his initials. The thing Dannie is holding isn't even made anymore.
I learned a lot more about my Papa, what he did, and who he impacted this weekend. Sad, sometimes, how death gives us more knowledge and appreciation for those things. I'll never look at an ATM machine or a grocery scanner, GPS navigation systems, or for that matter the Space Shuttle the same. My Papa had a hand in helping make all those things a reality. Amazing. I only want to learn more. What a legacy. He loved his family, prayed for us all the time, and loved his country by serving in WWII. Through all that he had my wonderful Nana, who loved him faithfully till the end. Papa, don't worry, we will NEVER forget you.
1 comment:
Wow... Cara. That was a great post and I am so glad you and your family have such special memories of your Papa. It is truely a joy to read about the Legacy he has left for all of you!
Here's a hug from me to you, my friend!
Post a Comment