1.22.2010

Thankfulness

Ever have one of those days where you're just thankful for everything? Even the rain? Lately I've been struggling with some deep anxieties and "blues" which could describe the reason that I've tried to step back and focus on things that are wonderful in my life. I thought I'd give a little spot in my blog to some of these thoughts as I've just gotten back from a long drive into Orange County in the rain with time to think (while the boys are quoting phrases from the movie in the back).

I'm thankful for my parents, who, through my entire life have been an encouragement to me. No matter what my struggle or need, they are there to listen, give advice when I need it, and point me to where I need to look - my heavenly Father.
I'm thankful for my sister. Without her I wouldn't be who I am today. She's my best friend and confidante who shows me every day what it's like to live with grace and strength. I don't know what I'd do without her.
My husband who listens to me and knows me in and out. He accepts me for who I am and never expects anything more. He gives 100% on days when I have nothing to give back.
My extended family who loves me and who makes family get-togethers special moments in my life.
My health after a year of ups and downs and surgery. I'm thankful for the ability to walk, talk, think, and communicate.
I just have so much to be thankful for.

When my Aunt Lynette was diagnosed with cancer which very quickly took her life, part of my outlook on life changed. Things that seemed to be a big deal were not so big anymore. Also, was I sure that what I believed in was really true? Is God really up there waiting for me with open arms? My conclusion - yes, He is. He is there with my Great Aunt Leone, Great Uncle Bill, my Papa, my Grandpa Boersma, my Grandma Reka, and many more of my precious Christian family members who have gone before me.

I will never forget many years ago, when I began struggling with anxiety, my dad came into my room with his Bible. As we sat and talked, he gave me this verse which I have turned to so many times in my life. Philippians 4:6-7: "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Thank God for truths like these. I also enjoy Philippians 4:11-13.

I don't know why I decided to share this, honestly, but as I'm walking through this very challenging part of my life with 2 toddlers, a home to take care of, a husband I want to support, and so many other daily challenges, I'm realizing I can't do this by myself. I may want control, but it can't be that way. I need my friends, family, and loved ones and I most desperately need my Savior to shelter me, strengthen me, and give me wisdom. Romans 8:38-39 "For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Thanks for letting me share this and I'll make sure I take more pictures to keep you updated on our family happenings. I appreciate you all!

3 comments:

heidi said...

oh, wow... that was awesome, Cara. It is so hard sometimes to remember that we can't do this alone. Surrendering to God is the most we can do, and it will give us so much more peace. I am right there with you, friend. Plus, I have made that my life verse, Romans 8:38-39! I am convinced!!!

Love you friend...

The Foglios said...

Cara, I can so relate! I have been dealing with anxiety the past few years too and it is a daily struggle for me to remind myself to refocus and keep my sights where they should be. This season of our lives is so overwhelming at times. I wish we lived close enough to get together for a good chat! You will be in my prayers. Hang in there. =)

Anonymous said...

Cara your transparency is precious and you are a very precious person. Anxiety struck my heart when I went through the change of life. David has been my rock, Rolana my constant friend and daughter, and Jesus and God's word my comfort and stregnth. Bless you dear one Nancy Martin