10.17.2008

BEES???...And Liquid Gold...

It's not what you think. The liquid gold is NOT honey. Why? Because the poor bee hunters could NOT find a hive in our house. Yes, the bees were carrying pollen, yes, they were swarming for about 2 - 3 weeks, yes they were going in and our of our attic, but there was NO hive to be found. This was established after poisoning inside the attic, removing a 2x2 foot section of roof, drilling into our wall from the outside in several places, and combing the attic for traces of honey. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. 2 hours later, the guys patch everything up and take off. I'm thankful for the no hive thing, but it leaves me wondering....what were the bees DOING up there? **sigh**

This ladder just made me nervous. They drilled holes all up in the wall and removed a section of roof above our bedroom on the left. This company was awesome, though. Honesty is a quality I admire in a company and they had it! It's nice to know there's quality businessmen out there!!

Ok so on to the liquid gold. We have a pomegranate tree. After having this tree for a few years, I've asked myself, why did I plant this tree in the first place? They're messy, they're hard to eat, and they STAIN. They also aren't used for a whole lot of things...except the juice, which is extremely hard to get (liquid gold). So, in a no-brainer moment, I decided this year to do Pomegranate Jelly. I always tell myself after straining seeds of any kind, "I'll never do THIS again." But I do. Probably because I forget how time consuming it was LAST time. Well I've never exactly MADE Pomegranate Jelly but once Bryan picked the fruit, it had to be done that day. Yikes. I didn't know what I was in for. The picture above just makes me itch. And that picture was taken after extracting seeds out of 10 pomegranates....which took about 2 hours or more. Then comes the boiling, then the straining. I mean the fruit IS the seed. WHY, Cara, WHY???? OH and THEN it overflows during its boiling point while in the last stages of making the jam. I could just HEAR the mess being made.

Ta dahhhhh!!! Liquid gold in a jar. I worked from 2 till 9pm on this stuff (with a dinner break in between). Talk about time in a bottle. You don't get much from a whole lotta work, but when you see the finished product, it's pretty fulfilling. It's not bad, either. Just a whole bunch of sugar and some pomegranate juice (which needs a lot of sugar to taste half-way decent in a glass as we found out). Bryan helped me seed 2 pomegranates - thanks babe!!

No comments: