8.18.2008

Birthdays and more Birthdays!

I'm apologizing again, folks. It's embarassing when your own sister wrote several entries ago about your own son's birthday party, but I'll do one anyways. I know, it seems like I'm always apologizing for slacking on the blog thing, but such is life.
Along with Austin's birthday in August, there's also my niece's birthday and my mother-in-law has one as well this month. I thought I'd make Jules something special and it worked out perfectly since she was able to come to Austin's party. I was actually able to give it to her in person! She had been admiring my own keychain that I made with my name on it, so I decided to do a bracelet for her, since her name isn't exactly easy to find in stores. It turned out pretty well - after me agonizing over how big to make it and what to make it look like....perfectionism at it's max.

Here's the finished product.

And here's my adorable niece after I gave it to her. She is such a sweetheart and my boys LOVE her and her brother to death! Of course they love climbing all over her, but they totally live for the fact that she pays so much attention to them. Thanks, Jules, for spending time with us!

When I invited people to Austin's 2 year party, I think I underestimated how many people could actually fit in the house, but even though it was tight with all the kiddos, it turned out to be so much fun. We ordered sushi (for those more daring folks) and pizza, and I made meatballs for an appetizer. The picture above looks like chaos, and it was. So many kids....so little room? But they all had fun and it was a blast having our friends over for some social time...even though I really don't feel like I was able to talk to most of them. Isn't that the case when you're the hostess? **sigh**

Ok this was an activity that I came up with last minute (thank you Sonja for the idea). I let the kids decorate their own cupcakes, however, I learned that you should let them eat it after they decorate it, or you will have a mutiny. Forget the whole "I want to take a picture of everyone's finished cupcakes" thing. So what ISN'T in this picture is the struggle that happened when he started to eat this creation. It was an all-out WAR. I tried to take the cupcake to get the paper off of it, and he grabbed it and wouldn't let go. We literally fought over it, which ended up ripping the cupcake in pieces to the point that he had to eat it with a fork. Afterwards I thought, "Cara, couldn't you have just let him eat the paper and learn from it?... Did ya HAVE to fight with him over it?" The funniest part was that I thought HE was stubborn. And a side-note...everyone with a camera around the table probably got our fight on film. Nice, huh? Could I get a copy?

Janee graciously volunteered to rinse off the table after the cupcake hurricane hit. It was quite a disaster zone. Thanks, Janee. Her son was more than eager to have HIS first taste of the cupcake. (Janee, I'll forward you those pics).

Memories flooded my mind when my dad sat down and started playing our new piano. Wow. It was so awesome that I wish it could happen all the time. He is an excellent musician and it was so touching to hear him play on MY new (my grandparents' old) piano. Then he played Happy Birthday while we sang and it just made the day that much more special. Afterwards, of course, every child within earshot wanted to help him play, which he obligingly helped with.

One of the toys Austin got was a whole set of food. I included this picture because I was laughing at what he was pointing at. Yes, the ice cream. This boy got so much dessert during the WEEK of his birthday that I don't know how he COULDN'T know what that was. We had our free Baskin Robbins, our free Coldstone, and his cake at his party. He was not without sweets that week, that's for sure.

And to end the party night, Bryan got on the floor and wrestled with his boys, his nephew and his niece. Mikayla really got in there and got physical. I guess she's getting used to that since she's pretty much outnumbered. Lynnea will have to get in there when she gets older. I was laughing at how Austin is determined to "take down" Mikayla (SO typical) and Ethan is shooting Bryan. *sigh* Let's just say that I didn't know what I was signing up for when I had those boys. God definitely has a sense of humor. And no, I don't encourage shooting at people's faces, which is why Bryan's getting it in the back. ha ha!

No comments: